Re: kdbus: credential faking

From: Casey Schaufler
Date: Fri Jul 10 2015 - 13:16:30 EST

On 7/10/2015 9:26 AM, David Herrmann wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Fri, Jul 10, 2015 at 5:59 PM, Casey Schaufler <casey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [...]
>> There are so many ways uids are being (miss/ab)used
>> on Linux systems these days that the idea of trusting a bus just
>> because its non-root uid is listed in a table somewhere (or worse,
>> coded in an API) is asking for exploits.
> Please elaborate on these possible exploits. I'd also like to hear,
> whether the same applies to the already used '/run/user/<uid>/bus',
> which follows nearly the same model.

Sorry, I'm not the exploit generator guy. If I where, I would
point out that the application expecting the uid to identify
a person is going to behave incorrectly on the system that uses
the uid to identify an application. I never said that I liked
/run/user/<uid>/bus. Come to think of it, I never said I like
dbus, either.