Re: kdbus: credential faking

From: Casey Schaufler
Date: Fri Jul 10 2015 - 13:46:28 EST

On 7/10/2015 9:30 AM, Alex Elsayed wrote:
> Casey Schaufler wrote:

>>> Honestly? Yes. To bring up two examples off the bat, IIRC both Haskell
>>> and Java have independent *implementations* of the dbus1 protocol, not
>>> reusing the reference library at all - Haskell isn't technically
>>> statically linked, but its ABI hashing stuff means it's the next best
>>> thing, and both it and Java are often managed outside the PM because for
>>> various reasons (in the case of Haskell, lots of tiny packages with lots
>>> of frequent releases make packagers cry until they find a way of
>>> automating it).
>> There is absolutely no reason to expect that these two examples don't have
>> native kdbus implementations in the works already.
> The Haskell one, at least, does not. I checked.

OK, I stand corrected. A bit surprised, but corrected.

>> That's the risk you take when you eschew the "standard" libraries.
>> Further, the primary reason that developers deviate from the norm is (you
> guessed it!) performance.
>
> Or, you know, avoiding the hassle of building and/or linking to code in
> another language via FFI. That's my recall of the primary reason for the
> Haskell one - and I don't think it's any coincidence that the two pure
> reimplementations are in managed-but-compiled languages.

That's a design choice, and I expect that performance is going to matter
more to Java than to Haskell. I have not got a lot of experience with
Haskell programmers, but I do with the Java variety. The Java folks are
going to want the performance.

>> The proxy is going to kill (or at least be assumed to kill) that
>> advantage, putting even more pressure on these deviant applications to
>> provide native kdbus versions.
> ...sure, if performance was the object. But it went through the old D-Bus
> daemon either way, so I'm rather dubious of your assertion - whether due to
> being in userspace or just poor implementation, it's no speed daemon so to
> speak.

That's a whole different thread. If dbus performance got fixed there'd be
no selling point for kdbus.

>> Backward compatibility shims/libraries/proxies only work when it's the
>> rare and unimportant case requiring it. If it's the common case, it won't
>> work. If it's the important case, it won't work. If kdbus is worth the
>> effort, make the effort.
> They also work if they require no configuration or effort from the legacy
> side, allowing those who need the (possibly rare *but also* important)
> benefits of the new system to benefit without causing harm to others.

Sorry, but there are no unicorns dancing on that rainbow.
It sounds good, but you always hit outliers that use things
in a perverse or unnatural, but technically permitted way.
The "first, do no harm" mantra may work when you're carving
on someone's spleen, but it is pretty destructive when you're
building significant software infrastructure.