perf_mmap__write_tail() and control dependencies

From: Paul E. McKenney
Date: Fri Jul 24 2015 - 11:29:16 EST

Hello, Peter,

The ring-buffer code uses control dependencies, and the shiny new
READ_ONCE_CTRL() is now in mainline. I was idly curious about whether
the write side could use smp_store_release(), and I found this:

static inline void perf_mmap__write_tail(struct perf_mmap *md, u64 tail)
{
struct perf_event_mmap_page *pc = md->base;

/*
* ensure all reads are done before we write the tail out.
*/
mb();
pc->data_tail = tail;
}

I see mb() rather than smp_mb(). Did I find the correct code for the
write side? If so, why mb() rather than smp_mb()? To serialize against
MMIO interactions with hardware counters or some such?

Thanx, Paul