Re: Is devm_* broken ?

From: Laurent Pinchart
Date: Tue Jul 28 2015 - 10:09:33 EST

Hello Takashi-san,

On Wednesday 15 July 2015 18:34:13 Takashi Iwai wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Jul 2015 18:27:42 +0200, Laurent Pinchart wrote:

> >> Right, and this is what ALSA drivers does in general.
> >
> > Does that mean that an ALSA driver that uses devm_* will crash if the
> > device is unbound from the driver (possibly because it gets disconnected)
> > while userspace uses the ALSA device ? Isn't that considered as an issue
> > ?
>
> No, usually the driver calls snd_card_remove() and it blocks until all
> resources are closed/freed, thus devm_*() (that will be released after
> that) won't crash. For the disconnection, there is an asynchronous
> version, and the rest is managed at the last close.

Most frameworks clean up at last close time as well, at least when the drivers
cooperate. My point was that once the .disconnect() handler returns the devm_*
allocate resources will be freed automatically, which can happen long before
last close.

> >> The disconnection is a bit different story, but I see your concern.
> >
> > From a resources release point of view disconnection and unbind are
> > similar.
>
> Similar but slightly different, IIRC. The disconnect (in USB) is a
> part of unbind, but not vice versa.

The USB interface disconnect operation is called from usb_unbind_interface()
and the USB device disconnect operation from usb_unbind_device(), respectively
handling the USB interface driver or the USB device driver .remove() operation
(usb_unbind_interface() is also called from usb_driver_release_interface()).
Both .remove() operations are called by the driver core, either from an unbind
request through sysfs or from a device disconnection, going through
usb_disconnect() in that case.

usb_disconnect() will not be called in case of a sysfs unbind, but the
driver's .disconnect() will be called.

--
Regards,

Laurent Pinchart