Re: Next round: revised futex(2) man page for review

From: Darren Hart
Date: Wed Jul 29 2015 - 01:38:41 EST

On Tue, Jul 28, 2015 at 09:11:41PM -0700, Darren Hart wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 28, 2015 at 10:23:51PM +0200, Thomas Gleixner wrote:
> > On Mon, 27 Jul 2015, Michael Kerrisk (man-pages) wrote:

> > > FUTEX_REQUEUE (since Linux 2.6.0)
> > > .\" FIXME(Torvald) Is there some indication that FUTEX_REQUEUE is broken
> > > .\" in general, or is this comment implicitly speaking about the
> > > .\" condvar (?) use case? If the latter we might want to weaken the
> > > .\" advice below a little.
> > > .\" [Anyone else have input on this?]
> >
> > The condvar use case exposes the flaw nicely, but that's pretty much
> > true for everything which wants a sane requeue operation.
>
> In an earlier discussion I argued this point (that FUTURE_REQUEUE is broken and
> should not be used in new code) and someone argued strongly against... stating
> that there were legitimate uses for it. Of course I'm struggling to find the
> thread and the reference at the moment - immensely useful, I know.
>
> I'll continue trying to find it and see if it can be useful here. I believe
> Torvald was on the thread as well.

Found it on libc-alpha, here it is for reference:

From: Rich Felker <dalias@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2014 22:43:17 -0400
To: Darren Hart <dvhart@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Carlos O'Donell <carlos@xxxxxxxxxx>, Roland McGrath <roland@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
Torvald Riegel <triegel@xxxxxxxxxx>, GLIBC Devel <libc-alpha@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
Michael Kerrisk <mtk.manpages@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Add futex wrapper to glibc?

On Wed, Oct 29, 2014 at 06:59:15PM -0700, Darren Hart wrote:
> > We are IMO at the stage where futex is stable, few things are
> > changing, and with documentation in place, I would consider adding a
> > futex wrapper.
>
> Yes, at least for the defined OP codes. New OPs may be added of
> course, but that isn't a concern for supporting what exists today, and
> doesn't break compatibility.
>
> I wonder though... can we not wrap FUTEX_REQUEUE? It's fundamentally
> broken. FUTEX_CMP_REQUEUE should *always* be used instead. The glibc
> wrapper is one way to encourage developers to do the right thing
> (don't expose the bad op in the header).

You're mistaken here. There are plenty of valid ways to use
FUTEX_REQUEUE - for example if the calling thread is requeuing the
target(s) to a lock that the calling thread owns. Just because it
doesn't meet the needs of the way glibc was using it internally
doesn't mean it's useless for other applications.

In any case, I don't think there's a proposal to intercept/modify the
commands to futex, just to pass them through (and possibly do a
cancellable syscall for some of them).

Rich