Re: perf eBPF patch ordering. was: Re: perf test LLVM was: Re: [GIT PULL 00/39] perf tools: filtering events using eBPF programs

From: Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo
Date: Mon Aug 03 2015 - 11:07:48 EST

Em Mon, Aug 03, 2015 at 10:37:59AM +0800, Wangnan (F) escreveu:
> On 2015/8/1 4:31, Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo wrote:
> >Somehow it is not calling what the changeset says it would call when passing
> >"-e foo.o", investigating...

> Have you tried

> /root/bin/perf record -e ./foo.o sleep 1

> The key is './'.

Nope, trying it now I get:

[root@felicio ~]# perf record -e ./foo.o sleep 1
libbpf: failed to open ./foo.o: No such file or directory
bpf: failed to load ./foo.o
invalid or unsupported event: './foo.o'
Run 'perf list' for a list of valid events

usage: perf record [<options>] [<command>]

-e, --event <event> event selector. use 'perf list' to list available events
[root@felicio ~]#

Way too much verbosity, I think this should be just:

[root@felicio ~]# perf record -e ./foo.o sleep 1
perf: Failed to open ./foo.o: No such file or directory

I.e. Avoid messages coming directly from a library, as you don't know
what kind of UI tools using such library will use, it maybe GTK, for
instance, and then sending stuff to stderr or stdout is inappropriate.

> I have reproduced the problem. Haven't noticed that because I always use './' name.

Right, right now this is required, it should not be.

> Will look into it.

Thanks, I will try checkint the other patches, taking this current
limitation into account, so that I can comment on them.

- Arnaldo