Re: [PULL] clockevents: a couple of fixes for tip/timers/urgent

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Fri Aug 07 2015 - 03:20:00 EST

* Daniel Lezcano <daniel.lezcano@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Ingo,
>
> this pull request contains the following changes:
>
> - Prevented to suspend or resume the sh_cmt clocksource when this one is
> not enabled (Geert Uytterhoeven)
> - Improved build coverage with COMPILE_TEST for the stm32 timer (Maxime
> Coquelin)
>
> Thanks !
>
> -- Daniel
>
> The following changes since commit 0f44705175347ec96935d60b765b5d14ecc763bb:
>
> tick: Move the export of tick_broadcast_oneshot_control to the proper
> place (2015-07-14 12:01:04 +0200)
>
> are available in the git repository at:
>
> http://git.linaro.org/people/daniel.lezcano/linux.git
> clockevents/4.2-fixes
>
> for you to fetch changes up to 1822a48be12f7ce2799d3423e49b967896794c4d:
>
> clockevents/drivers/sh_cmt: Only perform clocksource suspend/resume if
> enabled (2015-08-06 17:17:20 +0200)

> Geert Uytterhoeven (1):
> clockevents/drivers/sh_cmt: Only perform clocksource suspend/resume if
> enabled
>
> Maxime Coquelin (1):
> clockevents/drivers/timer-stm32: Improve dependencies of timer-stm32
>
> drivers/clocksource/Kconfig | 4 ++--

Hm, so why is this an urgent fix, i.e. a regression fix? It appears to widen build
coverage:

config CLKSRC_STM32
- bool "Clocksource for STM32 SoCs" if !ARCH_STM32
- depends on OF && ARM && (ARCH_STM32 || COMPILE_TEST)
+ bool "Clocksource for STM32 SoCs" if COMPILE_TEST
+ depends on OF && GENERIC_CLOCKEVENTS

that can at most introduce build regressions - not fix anything.

If there's any other purpose of this change it's not mentioned in the changelog.

Also, I think the change is broken to begin with:

+ bool "Clocksource for STM32 SoCs" if COMPILE_TEST

this will turn off the driver even in its target platform!

The right way to increase testing this way is via:

depends on ... || COMPILE_TEST

Thanks,

Ingo