Re: [BELATED CORE TOPIC] context tracking / nohz / RCU state

From: Andy Lutomirski
Date: Tue Aug 11 2015 - 17:53:23 EST

On Tue, Aug 11, 2015 at 2:47 PM, Paul E. McKenney
<paulmck@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 11, 2015 at 12:07:54PM -0700, Andy Lutomirski wrote:
>> On Tue, Aug 11, 2015 at 11:33 AM, Paul E. McKenney
>> <paulmck@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> > Something about people yelling at me for waking up idle CPUs, thus
>> > degrading their battery lifetimes. ;-)

>> > Combining these would be good, but there are subtleties. For example,
>> > some arches don't have context tracking, but RCU still needs to correctly
>> > identify idle CPUs without in any way interrupting or awakening that CPU.
>> > It would be good to make this faster, but it does have to work.
>>
>> Could we maybe have one set of old RCU-only (no context tracking)
>> callbacks and a completely separate set of callbacks for arches that
>> support full context tracking? The implementation of the latter would
>> presumably call into RCU.
>
> It should be possible for RCU to use context tracking if it is available
> and to have RCU maintain its own state otherwise, if that is what you
> are getting at. Assuming that the decision is global and made at either
> build or boot time, anyway. Having some CPUs tracking context and others
> not sounds like an invitation for subtle bugs.

I think that, if this happens, the decision should be made at build
time, per arch, and not be configurable. If x86_64 uses context
tracking, then I think x86_64 shouldn't need additional RCU callbacks,
assuming that context tracking is comprehensive enough for RCU's
purposes.

--Andy