Re: [RFC] coccinelle: add style check for assignment in if

From: Michal Marek
Date: Wed Aug 12 2015 - 11:05:23 EST

On 2015-08-12 16:53, Kris Borer wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 12, 2015 at 10:12 AM, Michal Marek <mmarek@xxxxxxx
> <mailto:mmarek@xxxxxxx>> wrote:
>
> On 2015-08-12 15:51, Kris Borer wrote:
> > Add a semantic patch for fixing some cases of checkpatch.pl <http://checkpatch.pl> error:
> >
> > ERROR: do not use assignment in if condition
>
> There is a gcc warning for this already.
>
> Michal
>

> âMy intention was not to create another way to uncover problems but
> rather to âprovide a tool for people to use to fix them. Let me know if
> I am misunderstanding the purpose of this subsystem.

OK, so this is fixing a style issue, and not cases of accidental
assignment instead of '==' (for which there is a gcc warning and we
hopefully do not have such errors in the kernel). While I'm probably
ignorant and no not see how one style is better than the other, I see
that some maintainers already applied your patches based on this check.
So I'll merge it once Julia acks it.

P.S.: Please switch of HTML email, otherwise vger.kernel.org won't
accept your messages.

Michal