Re: [regression] x86/signal/64: Fix SS handling for signals delivered to 64-bit programs breaks dosemu

From: Andy Lutomirski
Date: Thu Aug 13 2015 - 13:18:11 EST

On Thu, Aug 13, 2015 at 10:13 AM, Stas Sergeev <stsp@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> 13.08.2015 19:59, Andy Lutomirski ÐÐÑÐÑ:
>
>> On Thu, Aug 13, 2015 at 9:48 AM, Stas Sergeev <stsp@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>
>>> 13.08.2015 19:42, Andy Lutomirski ÐÐÑÐÑ:

>>> But that's too late to affect the signal _delivery_ anyhow, no?
>>> Any idea about the flag that can control both delivery and return?
>>
>> I think my LAR patch should cover the signal delivery part.
>
> Ah, I see your point now.
> But that's not what I mean, as it doesn't cover fs/gs, which
> is what Linus is looking to revert now too (I am building the
> testing kernels now).
> So you obviously don't want the flag that will control all 3
> things together without any lar heuristics, but I don't understand why...
> Yes, your heuristic+uc_flag may work, but IMHO far from
> perfection and TLS problem is not covered. I can test such
> a patch but I don't understand why you don't want the flag
> that will just control all things together.

The fs/gs patch doesn't change anything, so there's nothing to
control. It just renamed fields that did nothing. (It turns out they
did something back before arch_prctl existed, but there's only a
narrow range of kernels like that, and I'm not at all convinced that
those kernels are ABI-compatible with modern kernels at all. This is
all pre-git.)

Sure, it might make sense to change TLS behavior in signals at some
point, but I don't think we're there yet. We need to deal with
fsgsbase first, and that's a *huge* can of worms.

--Andy

--
Andy Lutomirski
AMA Capital Management, LLC