Re: [regression] x86/signal/64: Fix SS handling for signals delivered to 64-bit programs breaks dosemu

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Thu Aug 13 2015 - 14:35:48 EST

On Thu, Aug 13, 2015 at 10:51 AM, Stas Sergeev <stsp@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello Linus, I verified that patch-minimal.diff is enough
> to fix the problem, BUT! dosemu is in fact using the .fs and
> .gs fields of sigcontext as a placeholders. Why the minimal
> patch alone helps is simply because the kernel headers
> installed in a system do not yet represent the newer kernel
> developments and have the .fs and .gs fields in.

Ok. So I'm inclined to do the bigger revert, just to fix the compile
issue. It would be crazy to force some silly autoconf script for
random header info.

Of course, we could also just let the uabi version go out of sync with
the internal version, but that sounds even worse. I think we'd be
better off just leaving the old names, and just having big comments
about this..

Andy? I agree that we should strive to improve in this area, and this
should be worked on, but that would seem to be a 4.3 issue (and mark
that too for stable once it actually works). No?

Linus