Re: kexec, x86: Need a new e820 type support for kexec

From: Baoquan He
Date: Tue Aug 18 2015 - 22:53:28 EST

On 08/18/15 at 09:01am, Toshi Kani wrote:
> On Tue, 2015-08-18 at 16:53 +0800, Baoquan He wrote:
> > Rethink it again, maybe it's better to pass PMEM as PRAM to kdump
> > kernel if user really want to use memmap way by specifying
> > --pass-memmap-cmdline. Then I need add the PMEM and PRAM checking here
> > you pointed out. Will repost with them.
>
> No, you should not report PMEM as PRAM. They are different things. The
> kdump kernel does not need to support memmap cmdline for PMEM, as the
> regular kernel does not -- memmap cmdline cannot emulate PMEM.

OK. Then it will be wrong if people intend to specify
--pass-memmap-cmdline. There might be 3 ways to fix this:

1) add PMEM support in kernel. memmap cmdline is not only used for
emulating, but for kexec/kdump using.

2) Delete --pass-memmap-cmdline option in kexec-tools since people
rarely use it.

3) Add a note in kexec-tools that option --pass-memmap-cmdline can't
work together with PMEM, people should not use it.

Thanks
Baoquan