Re: Next round: revised futex(2) man page for review

From: Thomas Gleixner
Date: Wed Aug 19 2015 - 18:41:34 EST

On Wed, 5 Aug 2015, Darren Hart wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 27, 2015 at 02:07:15PM +0200, Michael Kerrisk (man-pages) wrote:
> > .\" FIXME XXX ===== Start of adapted Hart/Guniguntala text =====
> > .\" The following text is drawn from the Hart/Guniguntala paper
> > .\" (listed in SEE ALSO), but I have reworded some pieces
> > .\" significantly. Please check it.
> >
> > The PI futex operations described below differ from the other
> > futex operations in that they impose policy on the use of the
> > value of the futex word:
> >
> > * If the lock is not acquired, the futex word's value shall be
> > 0.
> >
> > * If the lock is acquired, the futex word's value shall be the
> > thread ID (TID; see gettid(2)) of the owning thread.
> >
> > * If the lock is owned and there are threads contending for the
> > lock, then the FUTEX_WAITERS bit shall be set in the futex
> > word's value; in other words, this value is:
> >
> > FUTEX_WAITERS | TID
> >

> > Note that a PI futex word never just has the value FUTEX_WAITERS,
> > which is a permissible state for non-PI futexes.
>
> The second clause is inappropriate. I don't know if that was yours or
> mine, but non-PI futexes do not have a kernel defined value policy, so
> ==FUTEX_WAITERS cannot be a "permissible state" as any value is
> permissible for non-PI futexes, and none have a kernel defined state.

Depends. If the regular futex is configured as robust, then we have a
kernel defined value policy as well.

> > .\" FIXME I'm not quite clear on the meaning of the following sentence.
> > .\" Is this trying to say that while blocked in a
> > .\" FUTEX_WAIT_REQUEUE_PI, it could happen that another
> > .\" task does a FUTEX_WAKE on uaddr that simply causes
> > .\" a normal wake, with the result that the FUTEX_WAIT_REQUEUE_PI
> > .\" does not complete? What happens then to the FUTEX_WAIT_REQUEUE_PI
> > .\" opertion? Does it remain blocked, or does it unblock
> > .\" In which case, what does user space see?
> >
> > The
> > waiter can be removed from the wait on uaddr via
> > FUTEX_WAKE without requeueing on uaddr2.
>
> Userspace should see the task wake and continue executing. This would
> effectively be a cancelation operation - which I didn't think was
> supported. Thomas?

We probably never intended to support it, but looking at the code it
works (did not try it though). It returns to user space with
-EWOULDBLOCK. So it basically behaves like any other spurious wakeup.

Thanks,

tglx