Re: difficult to pinpoint exhaustion of swap between 4.2.0-rc6 and 4.2.0-rc7

From: Vlastimil Babka
Date: Fri Aug 21 2015 - 07:48:56 EST

On 08/21/2015 01:37 PM, Vlastimil Babka wrote:

That, said, looking at the memory values:

rc6: Free+Buffers+A/I(Anon)+A/I(File)+Slab = 6769MB
rc7: ... = 4714MB

That's 2GB unaccounted for.

So one brute-force way to see who allocated those 2GB is to use the page_owner debug feature. You need to enable CONFIG_PAGE_OWNER and then follow the Usage part of Documentation/vm/page_owner.txt
If you can do that, please send the sorted_page_owner.txt for rc7 when it's semi-nearing the exhausted swap. Then you could start doing a comparison run with rc6, but maybe it will be easy to figure from the rc7 log already. Thanks.