Re: [RFC/PATCH] perf sched: Implement 'perf sched runtime' command

From: Namhyung Kim
Date: Tue Aug 25 2015 - 04:10:19 EST

Hi David,

On Mon, Aug 24, 2015 at 11:19:44PM -0700, David Ahern wrote:
> On 8/24/15 11:11 PM, Namhyung Kim wrote:
> >
> >+static int perf_sched__read_runtime_events(struct perf_sched *sched)
> >+{
> >+ const struct perf_evsel_str_handler handlers[] = {
> >+ { "sched:sched_switch", process_sched_switch_event, },
> >+ { "sched:sched_stat_runtime", process_sched_runtime_event, },
> >+ { "sched:sched_stat_sleep", process_sched_sleep_event, },
> >+ { "sched:sched_stat_wait", process_sched_wait_event, },
> >+ { "sched:sched_stat_iowait", process_sched_iowait_event, },
> >+ { "sched:sched_migrate_task", process_sched_migrate_task_event, },
> >+ };
>
> I like the concept (obviously since I have invested so much time in other
> solutions). But... you cannot rely on the sched_stat tracepoints being
> enabled. I believe it is a performance hit to have CONFIG_SCHEDSTATS enabled
> and distributions (e.g., Fedora) do not have it enabled.

Yes, I know that some distributions don't enable SCHEDSTATS. But as
perf sched record already requires it, I think it's ok to use those
events in other sched commands.

Maybe we could fix 'perf sched record' not to requires SCHEDSTATS.
All commands in perf sched just use stat_runtime event currently. And
I guess we can calculate/approximate the stat times using sched_switch
events (and wakeup events) only. But it also requires changing other
sched commands not to use sched_stat_runtime.

Thanks,
Namhyung