Re: Linux Firmware Signing

From: Paul Moore
Date: Fri Aug 28 2015 - 18:26:15 EST

On Fri, Aug 28, 2015 at 7:20 AM, Roberts, William C
<william.c.roberts@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [...]

It isn't always that simple, see my earlier comments about
customization and manipulation by the policy loading tools. Policy
signatures are nice, I support their addition, but I believe they will
only be useful for certain usage scenarios and not really usable for
general systems.

>> However, I haven't given any serious thought yet to how we would structure the
>> new blob format so as to support both signed/unsigned policies as well as
>> existing policies which predate any PKCS #7 changes.
>
> Huh, not following? Perhaps, I am not following what your laying down here.
>
> Right now there is no signing on the selinux policy file. We should be able
> to just use the firmware signing api's as is (I have not looked on linux-next yet)
> to unpack the blob.

I haven't looked at the existing fw signing hook in any detail to be
able to comment on its use as a policy verification hook. As long as
we preserve backwards compatibility and don't introduce a new
mechanism/API for loading SELinux policy I doubt I would have any
objections.

> In the case of falling back to loading an unsigned blob, we could do it ala kernel
> module style. If it fails do to invalid format fall back to attempting to read it as a straight policy file.

It seems like we could aim to do a bit better than try-and-see, but
once again, I haven't looked at yet in detail so I'll defer to you
judgement at this point.

> If it fails on signature verification, we could still unpack it and pass it on. So you would want to
> be able to control if the signed unpacking from pkcs7 fails, whether or not its fatal.
>
> We would also likely want to convey this state, the ability to change this setting to userspace in a
> Controlled fashion via selinuxfs. Ie I would want to know that I can load modules without valid signatures,
> And that my current policy file is in fact invalid or valid.

That sounds reasonable to me.

--
paul moore
www.paul-moore.com