Re: [GIT PULL] bcache revert

From: Kent Overstreet
Date: Mon Aug 31 2015 - 16:18:00 EST

On Mon, Aug 31, 2015 at 02:06:35PM -0600, Jens Axboe wrote:
> On 08/31/2015 01:53 PM, Kent Overstreet wrote:

> >>It's a simple cleanup patch, against a dormant driver. It was reviewed by
> >>Christoph, which is as good as it gets. Yes, it should have been posted, but
> >>it's not like we are talking about a rewrite or anything of that magnitude.
> >>You're grossly overreacting. I would do it again.
> >
> >Look, you've had your own periods as an unavailable maintainer so I wouldn't
> >throw stones - and it's no secret that I'm still working on bcache.
>
> I am not throwing stones, just stating the upstream bcache has been dormant
> for more than a year.

Dormant, because I was thoroughly overstressed with being the only one doing any
of the work compounded with a shitty startup situation. I've always been
available and responsible to people who were trying to help out. Really, I would
love to have other people working on the bcache code, and I'd be happy to spend
time on the phone or whatever to explain anything I can.

> >Really, as long as you think it's ok to commit patches without CCing the mailing
> >list _or_ the maintainer, then fuck you. I wouldn't do that to you and I don't
> >know anyone else who would, so as long as that's your attitude about it there's
> >really nothing to discuss.
>
> I already said that, yes, it should have been posted. But it's not like it
> was unreviewed. Or a massive change, by any stretch.

And then you said you'd do it again.

Look, it's about extending a basic courtesy - other people I work with have no
issue with this. Tejun still pings me and lets me know about percpu refcount
changes even though he's taken over as maintainer of that code since almost
after I wrote it. Similarly with most anyone else I've worked with in the kernel
community. I've always put quite a bit of effort into making sure I don't miss
anyone on my CC lists when I was doing work in the block layer that touched all
kinds of code.

Why not you?

> And we're still not discussing the motives for why it looked like that in
> the first place?

Not terribly interested in doing that after the fact, when you've already
bypassed me and gotten your patch in, and you're still saying you'd do it again.
Sorry, I'm not having the discussion on those terms.