Re: [GIT PULL] dmaengine updates for 4.3-rc1

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Fri Sep 04 2015 - 14:13:33 EST

On Wed, Sep 2, 2015 at 11:41 PM, Vinod Koul <vinod.koul@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Here is the dmaengine update for 4.3-rc1.

Ugh. Something horrible happened here.

> New devices added are:
> - dma controller in sun[457]i SoCs

This thing is completely broken and causes a lot of nasty error
messages on 64-bit:

drivers/dma/sun4i-dma.c: In function âfind_and_use_pchanâ:
drivers/dma/sun4i-dma.c:241:32: warning: passing argument 1 of
âfind_next_zero_bitâ from incompatible pointer type
[-Wincompatible-pointer-types]

and this needs to be fixed.

I've removed the COMPILE_TEST option for that config in the meantime,
because I refuse to have my screen fill up with warnings like this.

COMPILE_TEST is fine for drivers that are supposed to compile cleanly
even if they might not work - and encouraging people to _keep_ them
compiling cleanly and get better compile test coverage.

But it's not fine for stuff that causes big warnings and might hide
actual real problems.

Linus