Re: First kernel patch (optimization)

From: Theodore Ts'o
Date: Wed Sep 16 2015 - 12:40:39 EST

On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 05:03:39PM +0100, Eric Curtin wrote:
> Hi Greg,
>
> As I said in the subject of the mail (which I have been since told I
> shouldn't have done this), I'm a noob to kernel code. I tried to pick
> off something super simple to just see what the process of getting a
> patch in is. Youtube videos and documentation only get you so far.
>
> From reading your response, should I refrain from sending in these
> micro-optimizations in future? Getting in smaller patches is easier
> for me as I only do this in my spare time, which I don't have a lot
> of!

What I'd ask you to consider is what your end goal? Is it just to
collect a scalp (woo hoo! I've gotten a patch into the kernel)? Or
is it to actually make things better for yourself or other users? Or
are you trying to get make your self more employable, etc.

Micro-optimizations is often not particularly useful for anything
other than the first goal, and it really doesn't help anyone.

If you're just doing this in your spare time, then hopefully I hope
you are being choosy about what's the best way to use your spare time,
so the question of what your goals are going to be is a very important
thing for you to figure out. Regardless of whether it's worthwhile to
get this patch into the kernel, doing any *more* micro-optimizations
is probably not a good use of your time or anyone else's.

I'd strongly encourage you to move on to something more than just
micro-optimizations as quickly as possible.

Best regards,

- Ted