Re: problem with "serial" driver in kernel 3.16.0

From: Dr. Wolfgang Wilhelm
Date: Fri Sep 18 2015 - 13:52:09 EST

Yes, we make this card.

Here is a link to the mpa3 software for Windows and Wine/Linux
including all sources of linux code and the driver fastmpa.ko:

http://www.fastcomtec.com/fwww/supp/mpa3/wmpa3.zip

username: mpa3
password: midas16

Wolfgang Wilhelm

Datum: Fri, 18 Sep 2015 09:23:48 -0700
Von: Greg KH <greg@xxxxxxxxx>
An: Wolfgang Wilhelm <wilhelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Kopie an: stable@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Austin S Hemmelgarn
<ahferroin7@xxxxxxxxx>,
linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Betreff: Re: problem with "serial" driver in kernel 3.16.0

On Fri, Sep 18, 2015 at 11:24:05AM +0200, Wolfgang Wilhelm wrote:
> Thankyou very much for your quick answers. I searched now
> in the linux sources for the problem and I think I could find it
> in the file linux-source-3.16/drivers/tty/serial/8250/8250_pci.c
>
> There is a function serial_pci_guessboard and a blacklist
> including the vendor- and device-ids of 3 softmodems and
> 2 multi-io cards. I think if the vendor id 0x10e8 (standard AMCC)
> and device id 0x8226 could be inserted into that blacklist
> I could load our driver and get the software for our MPA-3
> multiparameter system working. It seems that these id's are
> not really used by any existing serial card, but this guessboard
> function anyway takes our card as a serial board.

Who makes this card, you? Why is the serial driver grabbing it if it
is
not a serial device?

> Is this a matter of the Debian distribution or the general linux
kernel?

The kernel is responsible for this, but I would like to see your
driver
before marking this device as blacklisted. Do you have a pointer to
the
source for it anywhere?

thanks,

greg k-h