Re: Problems with printk logs and my driver

From: Alan Stern
Date: Sun Oct 04 2015 - 11:28:47 EST

On Sun, 4 Oct 2015, Eric Curtin wrote:

> Ok so for the fun of it, I changed the VENDOR_ID and DEVICE_ID of my
> keyboard to use the driver for this samsung Wireless keyboard and
> mouse, crazy I know since I have a different piece of hardware, but I
> wanted to see what happens or at least does it change driver. When I
> reboot to this kernel, my keyboard still uses the usbhid driver. Why
> does this happen?

Because the Samsung wireless keyboard and mouse also use the usbhid
driver. Besides, the choice of driver depends just as much on the
bInterfaceClass, -Subclass, and -Protocol as on the vendor and product
IDs.

Basically, nothing needs to use usbkbd. Anything that driver can
handle will also work with usbhid. The only reason for keeping usbkbd
as a separate driver is because it is smaller than usbhid, so it's
better suited to some embedded applications with limited memory.

Alan Stern