Re: [RFC v2 4/7] powerpc: atomic: Implement xchg_* and atomic{,64}_xchg_* variants

From: Paul E. McKenney
Date: Mon Oct 05 2015 - 20:54:15 EST

On Mon, Oct 05, 2015 at 03:44:07PM +0100, Will Deacon wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 01, 2015 at 07:03:01PM +0100, Paul E. McKenney wrote:

> > > Is this documented somewhere, because I completely missed this part.
> >
> > Well, yes, these need to be added to the documentation. I am assuming
> > that Will is looking to have the same effect as C11 memory_order_relaxed,
> > which is relaxed in this sense. If he has something else in mind,
> > he needs to tell us what it is and why. ;-)
>
> I was treating them purely as being single-copy atomic and not providing
> any memory ordering guarantees (much like the non *_return atomic operations
> that we already have). I think this lines up with C11, minus the bits
> about data races which we don't call out anyway.

As long as it is single-copy atomic and not multi-copy atomic, I believe
we are on the saem page. We have slowly been outlawing some sorts of
data races over the past few years, and I would guess that this will
continue, expecially if good tooling emerges (and KTSAN is showing some
promise from what I can see).

Thanx, Paul