Re: [lkp] [ACPI] 7494b07eba: Kernel panic - not syncing: Watchdog detected hard LOCKUP on cpu 0

From: Rafael J. Wysocki
Date: Thu Oct 08 2015 - 18:22:22 EST

On Thursday, October 08, 2015 02:32:15 PM Al Stone wrote:
> On 10/08/2015 02:41 PM, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:

> >> Linux Kernel Developer's First Rule: You shall not break setups that
> >> worked previously, even if they worked by accident.
> >>
> >> IOW, if something booted and your commit made it not boot any more, it counts
> >> as a regression and needs to be modified or reverted.
> >
> > Moreover, if the firmware in question shipped in a product, we have no choice
> > but to work around bugs in it. Doing otherwise would be refusing to support
> > our users and not the vendor of the systems they were unfortunate enough to
> > acquire.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Rafael
> >

> Yup, understood and agreed. I have no issue at all with the First Rule.
>
> What I have an issue with is all the exceptions to the standards -- and
> primarily the unknown ones -- that exist with ACPI (or any other standard,
> mind you), independent of any OS.

Well, one can argue that stadards are not what is written in specifications,
but what is done in practice by everybody. If a specification does not agree
with the common practice, there is a problem with it, not with the practice.

> It's just like driving a car. I will (and do) grumble at people when they
> break the rules. On the other hand, I'm not going to crash into them even
> if they are at fault. When the ACPI spec gets twisted around, I'm going
> to say something about it; just the same, I am not going to break their
> system if it already works.

OK

So IMO there are two things we can do. First, try to update the spec to
reflect the reality where needed. Second, having done that, add appropriate
checks to a firmware test suite and make it scream bloody murder every time
they trigger. It also may be a good idea to print warnings into the kernel
buffer for them.

Thanks,
Rafael