Re: [RFC v2 5/7] powerpc: atomic: Implement cmpxchg{,64}_* and atomic{,64}_cmpxchg_* variants

From: Boqun Feng
Date: Sun Oct 11 2015 - 06:26:27 EST

On Sat, Oct 10, 2015 at 09:58:05AM +0800, Boqun Feng wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> Sorry for replying late.
>
> On Thu, Oct 01, 2015 at 02:27:16PM +0200, Peter Zijlstra wrote:
> > On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 11:49:33PM +0800, Boqun Feng wrote:
> > > Unlike other atomic operation variants, cmpxchg{,64}_acquire and
> > > atomic{,64}_cmpxchg_acquire don't have acquire semantics if the cmp part
> > > fails, so we need to implement these using assembly.
> >
> > I think that is actually expected and documented. That is, a cmpxchg
> > only implies barriers on success. See:
> >
> > ed2de9f74ecb ("locking/Documentation: Clarify failed cmpxchg() memory ordering semantics")
>
> I probably didn't make myself clear here, my point is that if we use
> __atomic_op_acquire() to built *_cmpchg_acquire(For ARM and PowerPC),
> the barrier will be implied _unconditionally_, meaning no matter cmp
> fails or not, there will be a barrier after the cmpxchg operation.
> Therefore we have to use assembly to implement the operations right now.

Or let me try another way to explain this. What I wanted to say here is
that unlike the implementation of xchg family, which needs only to
implement _relaxed version and *remove* the fully ordered version, the
implementation of cmpxchg family needs to *remain* the fully ordered
version and implement the _acquire version in assembly. Because if we
use __atomic_op_*(), the barriers in the cmpxchg family will be implied
*unconditionally*, for example:

cmpxchg() on PPC will be(built by my version of __atomic_op_fence()):

smp_lwsync();
cmpxchg_relaxed(...);
smp_mb__after_atomic(); // a full barrier regardless of success
// or failure.

In order to have a conditional barrier, we need a way to jump out of a
ll/sc loop, which could only(?) be done by assembly code.

My commit log surely failed to explain this clearly, I will modifiy that
in next series. In the meanwhile, looking forwards to suggestion on the
implementation of cmpxchg familiy ;-)

BTW, Will, could you please check whether the barriers in cmpxchg family
are unconditional or not in the current implementation of ARM? IIUC,
they are currently unconditional, right?

Regards,
Boqun