Re: [RFC v2 5/7] powerpc: atomic: Implement cmpxchg{,64}_* and atomic{,64}_cmpxchg_* variants

From: Peter Zijlstra
Date: Mon Oct 12 2015 - 02:46:40 EST

On Sun, Oct 11, 2015 at 06:25:20PM +0800, Boqun Feng wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 10, 2015 at 09:58:05AM +0800, Boqun Feng wrote:
> > Hi Peter,
> >
> > Sorry for replying late.

> > > I think that is actually expected and documented. That is, a cmpxchg
> > > only implies barriers on success. See:
> > >
> > > ed2de9f74ecb ("locking/Documentation: Clarify failed cmpxchg() memory ordering semantics")
> >
> > I probably didn't make myself clear here, my point is that if we use
> > __atomic_op_acquire() to built *_cmpchg_acquire(For ARM and PowerPC),
> > the barrier will be implied _unconditionally_, meaning no matter cmp
> > fails or not, there will be a barrier after the cmpxchg operation.
> > Therefore we have to use assembly to implement the operations right now.

See later, but no, you don't _have_ to.

> Or let me try another way to explain this. What I wanted to say here is
> that unlike the implementation of xchg family, which needs only to
> implement _relaxed version and *remove* the fully ordered version, the
> implementation of cmpxchg family needs to *remain* the fully ordered
> version and implement the _acquire version in assembly. Because if we
> use __atomic_op_*(), the barriers in the cmpxchg family will be implied
> *unconditionally*, for example:

So the point that confused me, and which is still valid for the above,
is your use of 'need'.

You don't need to omit the barrier at all. Its perfectly valid to issue
too many barriers (pointless and a waste of time, yes; incorrect, no).

So what you want to say is: "Optimize cmpxchg_acquire() to avoid
superfluous barrier".