Re: SoCFPGA ethernet broken

From: Dinh Nguyen
Date: Fri Oct 16 2015 - 11:38:58 EST

On Fri, 16 Oct 2015, Andrew Lunn wrote:

> > > Ah!
> > >
> > > You have the phy device tree parameters in the wrong place. These are
> > > phy paramters, so should really be in the phy node. But
> > > socfpga_cyclone5_socdk.dts has them in the MAC node.
> > >

> > Alright, let me see if I can rework the DTS.
>
> Well, we are not supposed to break device tree bindings. So we should
> try to make this work again.

Great..thanks for recognizing that point.

> > > There is nothing in Documentation/devicetree/bindings/net/micrel.txt
> > > which says you are allowed to place them in the MAC node. Obviously
> > > the code did allow this, which is what has now broken.
> >
> > I was following Documentation/devicetree/bindings/net/micrel-ksz90x1.txt and
> > in this document I was following the autodetected PHY example. Did I mis-interpret
> > the example?
>
> I was looking at the wrong binding documentation. So yes, it is
> documented you can do this.
>
> But i still think it is wrong. These are phy properties, implemented
> by the phy, so should be in the phy node. So moving them would be
> good. But as i said, we should fix backwards compatibility if
> possible.

I moved the phy settings to a separate phy node, but it did not seem to make a
difference at all.

So I think I'll move to inspect what Florian had suggested, and that was to look
at: drivers/net/ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/stmmac_mdio.c::stmmac_mdio_register

BR,
Dinh