Re: [RFC 3/4] x86/signal/64: Re-add support for SS in the 64-bit signal context

From: Andy Lutomirski
Date: Sun Oct 18 2015 - 12:37:06 EST

On Sun, Oct 18, 2015 at 9:29 AM, Stas Sergeev <stsp@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> 18.10.2015 19:12, Andy Lutomirski ÐÐÑÐÑ:
>>
>> On Sun, Oct 18, 2015 at 6:36 AM, Stas Sergeev <stsp@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>
>>> 15.10.2015 00:41, Andy Lutomirski ÐÐÑÐÑ:

>>> Hello Andy, I am unlucky at testing this.
>>> dosemu doesn't even start for me on the git kernels.
>>> After a half day of debugging, it seems the kernel forgets
>>> to fill in the "err" field in the sigcontext struct when
>>> page fault occurs. That confuses the dosemu's instruction
>>> decoder.
>>> Does this ring any bells?
>>
>> No, but I can reproduce it on some kernels. Let me see if I can fix it,
>> too.
>
> Thanks!
> You should really consider adding dosemu as your test-case.
> It feels very unhappy on all recent kernels. I was getting hard
> lock-ups under different circumstances (when starting windows,
> for example). But fedora-packaged kernels are quite good, as of
> yet. I fear the problems will soon populate to them too.

I'll work on that. It's a lot easier to have a packaged set of tests
that say yes/no, though, and it's handy when those tests are fully
open-source and easy to run (DOSEMU, in contrast, requires the
annoyingly impossible-to-compile freedos stuff iirc, and the
interesting bits need other test programs). In any case, I'll add a
self-test for the
err thing once I figure out what's going on.

--Andy

--
Andy Lutomirski
AMA Capital Management, LLC