Re: [GIT PULL] On-demand device probing

From: Rob Herring
Date: Mon Oct 19 2015 - 08:35:41 EST

On Mon, Oct 19, 2015 at 4:44 AM, David Woodhouse <dwmw2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, 2015-10-18 at 20:53 +0100, Mark Brown wrote:

>> > You are making it bus-specific by putting these calls all over the tree
>> > in different bus subsystems semi-randomly for all I can determine.
>>
>> Do you mean firmware rather than bus here? I think that's the confusion
>> I have...
>
> Certainly, if it literally is adding of_* calls then that would seem to
> be gratuitously firmware-specific. Nothing should be using those these
> days; any new code should be using the generic device property APIs
> (except in special cases).

See version 2 of the series[1] which did that. It became obvious that
was pointless because the call paths ended up looking like this:

Generic subsystem code -> DT look-up code -> fwnode_probe_device ->
of_probe_device

Rob

[1] http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-arm-kernel/2015-July/361137.html