Re: kernel oops on mmotm-2015-10-15-15-20

From: Hugh Dickins
Date: Thu Oct 22 2015 - 18:27:24 EST

On Wed, 21 Oct 2015, Hugh Dickins wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Oct 2015, Hugh Dickins wrote:
> > On Thu, 22 Oct 2015, Minchan Kim wrote:

> I think I have introduced a bug there; or rather, made more evident
> a pre-existing bug. But I'm not sure yet: the stacktrace was from
> compaction (called by khugepaged, but that may not be relevant at all),
> and thinking through the races with isolate_migratepages_block() is
> never easy.
>
> What's certain is that I was not giving any thought to
> isolate_migratepages_block() when I added that VM_BUG_ON_PAGE():
> I was thinking about "stable" anonymous pages, and how they get
> faulted back in from swapcache while holding page lock.
>
> It looks to me now as if a page might not yet be PageAnon when it's
> first tested in __unmap_and_move(), when going to page_get_anon_vma();
> but is page_mapped() and PageAnon() by time of calling try_to_unmap(),
> where I inserted the VM_BUG_ON_PAGE().
>
> If so, the code would always have been wrong (trying to unmap the
> anonymous page, and later remap its replacement, without a hold on
> the anon_vma needed to guide both lookups); but I'll have made it
> more glaringly wrong with the VM_BUG_ON_PAGE() - let me pretend
> that's a good step forward :)
>
> There's a reference count check in isolated_migratepages_block()
> before this, which would make it unlikely, but I doubt rules it out.
>
> However... you did hit an anon_vma reference counting problem before
> my migration changes went in, and Kirill had a vague suspicion that
> he might be screwing up anon_vma refcounting in split_huge_page():
> if he confirms that, I'd say it's more likely to be the cause of
> your crash on this occasion.
>
> Not hard to fix mine (though we'll probably have to lose the
> VM_BUG_ON_PAGE on the way, so the real fix will be hidden by that
> trivial fix), I just want to give the races more thought.

And after giving it more thought, I realize that I was wrong yesterday,
and the new VM_BUG_ON_PAGE() should be good as is: my guess is that it
is simply alerting you to the same anon_vma reference counting issue
as you had already hit without that patch.

What I was forgetting yesterday, is that isolate_migratepages_block()
can only take the page for migration when it's PageLRU(): and
do_anonymous_page() only adds a page to the LRU after it has been
marked as mapped and PageAnon.

So the window that worried me yesterday, that __unmap_and_move()
might see !PageAnon, then reach try_to_unmap() with it page_mapped
and PageAnon: that window does not exist, with or without my changes.

Hugh