Re: [patch 3/3] vmstat: Create our own workqueue

From: Tetsuo Handa
Date: Mon Nov 02 2015 - 11:52:21 EST

Christoph Lameter wrote:
> On Sat, 31 Oct 2015, Tetsuo Handa wrote:
>
> > Then, you need to update below description (or drop it) because
> > patch 3/3 alone will not guarantee that the counters are up to date.
>
> The vmstat system does not guarantee that the counters are up to date
> always. The whole point is the deferral of updates for performance
> reasons. They are updated *at some point* within stat_interval. That needs
> to happen and that is what this patchset is fixing.

I'm still unclear. I think that the result of this patchset is

The counters are never updated even after stat_interval
if some workqueue item is doing a __GFP_WAIT memory allocation.

but the patch description sounds as if

The counters will be updated even if some workqueue item is
doing a __GFP_WAIT memory allocation.

which denies the actual result I tested with this patchset applied.