Re: [GIT PULL] tracing: Updates for 4.4

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Fri Nov 06 2015 - 17:15:54 EST

On Fri, Nov 6, 2015 at 2:09 PM, Stephen Rothwell <sfr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> This was reported against linux-next on Nov 2 by Sergey Senozhatsky who
> supplied a fix patch that I then used as the merge conflict resolution
> from Nov 3 onward (which everyone involved knew about) ...

Ok, so the problem is that even though a maintainer is aware of the
semantic conflict, the pull request doesn't talk about it.

A lot of maintainers *do* let me know, which I really appreciate, not
only because it avoids the surprise, but because it happens that I
miss these semantic conflicts.

Sometimes the semantic conflict is something that simply doesn't show
up on x86-64 build I do. Or I was on the road and didn't do a full
allmodconfig build. Or it needs very specific config options etc. Or I
just screw up. When the pull message warns me about it, that will
help.

But maybe it's one of those things that isn't written down, and people
don't think about as part of doing their pull request, so they forget.

Linus