Re: linux-next network throughput performance regression

From: Eric Dumazet
Date: Sat Nov 07 2015 - 14:36:16 EST

On Fri, 2015-11-06 at 14:30 -0700, David Ahern wrote:
> On 11/6/15 2:18 PM, Simon Xiao wrote:
> > The .config file used to build linux-next kernel is attached to this mail.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Failed to notice this on the first response; my brain filled in. Why
> linux-next tree? Can you try net-next which is more relevant for this
> mailing list, post the top commit id and config file used?

Throughput on a single TCP flow for a 40G NIC can be tricky to tune.

Make sure IRQ are properly setup/balanced, as I know that IRQ names were
changed recently and your scripts might have not noticed...

Also "ethtool -c eth0" might show very different interrupt coalescing
params ?

I too have a Mellanox 40Gb in my lab and saw no difference in
performance with recent kernels.

Of course, a simple "perf record -a -g sleep 4 ; perf report" might
point to some obvious issue. Like unexpected segmentation in case of
forwarding...