Re: fs: out of bounds on stack in iov_iter_advance

From: Al Viro
Date: Tue Nov 10 2015 - 21:56:59 EST

On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 06:21:47PM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> Al, looking at the most recent linux-next, most of the vfs commits
> there seem to be committed in the last day or two. I'm getting the
> feeling that that is all 4.5 material by now.
>
> Should I just take the iov patch as-is, since apparently no vfs pull
> request is happening this merge cycle? And no, I'm not taking
> "developed during the second week of the merge window, and sent in the
> last few days of it". I'm done with that.

s/developed/rebased/, actually, but... point taken. Mea culpa, and what
to do with those patches is for you to decide; some of those are simply
-stable fodder and probably ought to go one-by-one at any point you would
consider convenient, some are of the "remove stale comment" variety (obviously
can sit around until the next cycle, or go in one-by-one at any point - the
things like
-
- /* WARNING: probably going away soon, do not use! */
in inode_operations; the comment used to be about the method removed last
cycle and should've been gone with it; etc.)

There's a large pile not in those two classes - xattr+richacl stuff. I'm more
confident about the first part, but strictly speaking neither qualifies as
fixes.

FWIW, the stuff that had been _developed_ during the merge window is not there
- a patch series around the descriptor bitmaps. Doesn't change the situation;
I'd fucked up this cycle ;-/