Re: [Patch v7 4/7] PCI/ACPI: Add interface acpi_pci_root_create()

From: Liviu Dudau
Date: Wed Nov 11 2015 - 13:12:14 EST

On Wed, Nov 11, 2015 at 05:46:47PM +0000, Lorenzo Pieralisi wrote:
> [...]
>
> [...]
> > >
> > > I have no clue about what those mean in ACPI though.
> > >
> > > Generally speaking, each PCI domain is expected to have a (normally 64KB)
> > > range of CPU addresses that gets translated into PCI I/O space the same
> > > way that config space and memory space are handled.
> > > This is true for almost every architecture except for x86, which uses
> > > different CPU instructions for I/O space compared to the other spaces.

> > > The main difference between ia64 and a lot of the other architectures (e.g.
> > > sparc is different again) is that ia64 defines a logical address range
> > > in terms of having a small number for each I/O space followed by the
> > > offset within that space as a 'port number' and uses a mapping function
> > > that is defined as
> > >
> > > static inline void *__ia64_mk_io_addr (unsigned long port)
> > > {
> > > struct io_space *space = &io_space[IO_SPACE_NR(port)];
> > > return (space->mmio_base | IO_SPACE_PORT(port););
> > > }
> > > static inline unsigned int inl(unsigned long port)
> > > {
> > > return *__ia64_mk_io_addr(port);
> > > }
> > >
> > > Most architectures allow only one I/O port range and put it at a fixed
> > > virtual address so that inl() simply becomes
> > >
> > > static inline u32 inl(unsigned long addr)
> > > {
> > > return readl(PCI_IOBASE + addr);
> > > }
> > >
> > > which noticeably reduces code size.
> > >
> > > On some architectures (powerpc, arm, arm64), we then get the same simplified
> > > definition with a fixed virtual address, and use pci_ioremap_io() or
> > > something like that to to map a physical address range into this virtual
> > > address window at the correct io_offset;
> > Hi all,
> > Thanks for explanation, I found a way to make the ACPI resource
> > parsing interface arch neutral, it should help to address Lorenzo's
> > concern. Please refer to the attached patch. (It's still RFC, not tested
> > yet).
>
> If we go with this approach though, you are not adding the offset to
> the resource when parsing the memory spaces in acpi_decode_space(), are we
> sure that's what we really want ?
>
> In DT, a host bridge range has a:
>
> - CPU physical address
> - PCI bus address
>
> We use that to compute the offset between primary bus (ie CPU physical
> address) and secondary bus (ie PCI bus address).
>
> The value ending up in the PCI resource struct (for memory space) is
> the CPU physical address, if you do not add the offset in acpi_decode_space
> that does not hold true on platforms where CPU<->PCI offset != 0 on ACPI,
> am I wrong ?
>
> Overall I think the point is related to ioport_resource and its check
> in acpi_pci_root_validate_resources() which basically that's the
> problem that started this thread.
>
> On arm64, IO_SPACE_LIMIT is 16M, which, AFAIK is a kernel limit, not

You're right, it is a kernel limit. There is no HW limit for IO on arm64.

> Comparing the resources parsed from the PCI bridge _CRS against
> the range 0..IO_SPACE_LIMIT is not necessarily meaningful (or at least
> not meaningful in its current form), on ia64 it works because IO_SPACE_LIMIT
> is bumped up to 4G, that's the reason why adding the offset to the ACPI IO
> resources work on ia64 as far as I understand.
>
> And that's why I pulled Arnd in this discussion since he knows better
> than me: what does ioport_resource _really_ represent on ARM64 ? It seems
> to me that it is a range of IO ports values (ie a window that defines
> the allowed offset in the virtual address space allocated to PCI IO) that
> has _nothing_ to do with the CPU physical address at which the IO space is
> actually mapped.

Correct. The idea is that you can have any number of host bridges and what
you get back for an ioport_resource is a window inside the host bridge IO
space. That space is also offset-ed inside the kernel's IO port space
(0..IO_SPACE_LIMIT) by the amount of space already taken by preceeding
host bridges, so that two ioport_resources comming from two different
host bridges don't overlap in the CPU address space.

Best regards,
Liviu

--
| I would like to |