Re: Hibernate resume bug around 3,18-rc2 - Full PAT support

From: Juergen Gross
Date: Thu Nov 19 2015 - 04:10:32 EST

On 19/11/15 08:50, vasvir@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the quick answer
>

>> Could you please try the most recent 4.3 kernel? There has been some
>> work related to this topic after 4.2 (large page pat handling done by
>> Toshi Kani and mtrr/pat handling by Luis Rodriguez).
>
> That means I will reset the bisection. Right? Is there any other info we
> can extract from there?

I don't see what else should be specific to that patch other than the
information that the issue occurred due to that patch. All further
diagnostic information should be obtainable with a newer kernel, too.

> So Do you want me to test 4.3 or 4.4-pre/rc*/latest linus tree. I assume
> 4.3 for now.

I think 4.3 is okay.

> I will do it later tonight. It will take 2 days at least to report back

Okay, thank you for your effort!

>> Another interesting information would be the exact hardware you are
>> using. Maybe we can see some similarities between yours and the other
>> two cases you referenced above.
>>

> It is an i7
> Motherboard: ASROCK H97 PRO4 RETAIL
> CPU INTEL CORE I7-4790 3.60GHZ LGA1150 - BOX
> It has 16GB of RAM, one SSD and one HDD
> I have NO external graphics card
>
> Do you want me to run something on this like lspci, lsusb

Yes, please post the output of both.

> I upgraded the BIOS of the motherboard to the latest. This is not the
> problem though because I upgraded after the problem occurred as a counter
> measure in case I was hit by a buggy BIOS and linux had changed its
> behavior to be stricter.

BIOS was my first guess, but in case the other two reports are really
due to the same problem I doubt the BIOS is to blame (one Lenovo and one
Sony laptop).

> I experimented with ACPI compilers/decompilers and I was tempted to fix my
> ACPI tables but I didn't.
>
> I saw the kernel command line option acpi_os=!Windows2013 but I didn't try
> it. Do you thing I should try it?

You could try "nopat" as command line option.

>> Wow! Thanks for doing this work!
>>

> I would like this to be fixed so I am willing to do the testing.

I appreciate this spirit. :-)

Juergen