Re: [PATH RESEND v2 03/10] tty: xuartps: Always enable transmitter in start_tx

From: SÃren Brinkmann
Date: Fri Nov 20 2015 - 10:27:43 EST

Hi Peter,

On Fri, 2015-11-20 at 07:13AM -0500, Peter Hurley wrote:

> On 11/19/2015 03:02 PM, Soren Brinkmann wrote:
> > start_tx must start transmitting characters. Regardless of the state of
> > the circular buffer, always enable the transmitter hardware.
>
> Why?
>
> Does cdns_uart_stop_tx() actually stop the transmitter so that
> data remains in the transmitter?

Well, I saw my system freezing and the cause seemed to be that the UART
receiver and/or transmitters were disabled while the system was trying
to print. Hence, I started questioning all locations touching the
transmitter/receiver enable. I read the docs in
https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/serial/driver, which simply
says "Start transmitting characters." for start_tx(). Hence, I thought,
this function is probably supposed to just do that and start the
transmitter. I'll test whether this patch can be dropped.

Thanks,
SÃren