Re: Releasing bus devices?

From: Greg KH
Date: Wed Nov 25 2015 - 11:37:19 EST

On Wed, Nov 25, 2015 at 08:21:36AM -0800, Andy Lutomirski wrote:
> I'm writing a bus driver, and I'm confused.

Yeah, writing a new bus is a major pain, I keep meaning to work on the
api every year or so when I have to write a new one, but then I just
suffer through it and never get around to it :(

> If I create a class and class devices, I can set a release method on
> the class. But if I create a bus, there's no bus_type.dev_release.
> Am I really supposed to manually set .release on each struct device
> that I enumerate? If so, why?

No, you shouldn't have to do that, the "struct device_type" that is
assigned to your device has a .release callback, that is what will be
called. Make sure you set that for each device you create for your bus.

hope this helps,

greg k-h