Re: Non-ascii mantainers

From: Andreas Mohr
Date: Tue Dec 01 2015 - 15:22:42 EST

Hi,

> I don't really care if the maintainers are encoded or whatever.
> However, neither get_maintainers nor git format-patch encodes them and
> the listserver rejects them when not encoded.

"neither ... nor" - IMHO transcoding should always be done at exactly *one* layer
transition (namely prior to entering the layer which might happen to be
using non-encoded same-char values as used by payload data as control chars,
or which might happen to have a "reduced" encoding only requirement [think 7bit vs. 8bit],
and only there, and of course also correctly [transcodes full set of
control chars, and properly]). ;)

So, since git-format-patch (according to git-format-patch(1)) itself
declares that it does "Prepare patches for e-mail submission",
it would seem that format-patch would definitely need to provide
readily submittable content i.e.
support submitting (i.e., generating) such content in *fully compatible* format
(maybe it would not need to generate this as MIME encoding always
- since there might be different encoding technologies to be chosen -
but at least it should offer an encoding cmdline option,
with this option then definitely defaulting to the mainstream choice, probably MIME).
IOW, I would consider this to be a git-format-patch "missing crucial i18n support" bug
(a bug for this should probably be filed).

(and, due to my reasoning above, transcoding would *not* be the job of get_maintainers)

Rather astonishing that this issue is hitting the streets in 2015 -
if we aren't missing something here, that is...

HTH,

Andreas Mohr