Re: use-after-free in sctp_do_sm

From: Jason Baron
Date: Fri Dec 04 2015 - 11:47:58 EST

On 12/04/2015 11:12 AM, Dmitry Vyukov wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 3, 2015 at 9:51 PM, Joe Perches <joe@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> (adding lkml as this is likely better discussed there)

>>> Seems rather fragile to have side effects that we rely
>>> upon hidden in a printk().
>>
>> Yup.
>>
>>> Just convert them and see what breaks :)
>>
>> I appreciate your optimism. It's very 1995.
>> Try it and see what happens.
>

> But Aaron says that DYNAMIC_DEBUG is enabled in most major
> distributions, and all these side-effects don't happen with
> DYNAMIC_DEBUG.

When DYNAMIC_DEBUG is enabled we have this wrapper from
include/linux/dynamic_debug.h:

if (unlikely(descriptor.flags & _DPRINTK_FLAGS_PRINT))
<do debug stuff>

So the compiler is not emitting the side-effects in this
case.

>This suggests that we can make these side-effects not
> happen without DYNAMIC_DEBUG as well.
> Or I am missing something here?

When DYNAMIC_DEBUG is disabled we are instead replacing
pr_debug() with the 'no_printk()' function as you've pointed
out. We are changing this to emit no code at all:

Thanks,

-Jason