Re: [tip:perf/core] perf/x86: Use INST_RETIRED.PREC_DIST for cycles: ppp

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Wed Dec 09 2015 - 03:29:38 EST

* Peter Zijlstra <peterz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 08, 2015 at 09:57:07AM +0100, Peter Zijlstra wrote:

> > > Sadly, no clue :/
> > >
> > > I went over those patches and cannot find anything that should affect
> > > NHM (or <=SNB in fact).
> >
> > Oh wait, I spoke too soon, the two new patches affect everything with
> > PEBS. And esp. the latter one:
> >
> > lkml.kernel.org/r/1449177740-5422-2-git-send-email-andi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> >

> If that is the patch that makes your NHM go again, then running 2
> concurrent perf-top sessions should make it all go dark again.

Hm, so I tried again your latest perf/urgent (1221fc3b3e3a) merged into tip:master
(c9586e904a68), and booted it on the NHM, but 'perf top' refuses to break.

One thing that was special about my first NHM test was that it conducted an about
24 hours perf stress. OTOH 'cycles:p' did work, it was only 'cycles:pp' that was
producing no events whatsoever - so it wasn't a total breakage, only :pp related.

Weird ...

Thanks,

Ingo