Re: [Qemu-devel] [Patch V2 1/2] x86, mce: Basic support to add LMCE support to QEMU

From: Raj, Ashok
Date: Mon Dec 14 2015 - 13:11:59 EST

On Mon, Dec 14, 2015 at 05:37:38PM +0100, Borislav Petkov wrote:

> ... and obviously LMCE is vendor-specific so it cannot be enabled on
> !Intel guests with a define like that. mce_init() in qemu should check
> vendor too.
>
> The same mistake was done with SER_P but that's much harder to change,
> as we discussed previously.

This is mostly harmless.. since the MCG_CAP space is shared and has no
conflict between vendors. Also just the CAP being set has no effect.

The Guest OS needs to opt-in and the SIGBUS indicating SRAR are the only
ones that are treated special treatment. Also Intel was the only one
broadcasting MCE's.. so we are like the rest now :-)

Cheers,
Ashok