Re: isolate_lru_page on !head pages

From: Michal Hocko
Date: Tue Dec 15 2015 - 11:59:49 EST

On Tue 15-12-15 14:03:18, Kirill A. Shutemov wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 15, 2015 at 09:52:33AM +0100, Michal Hocko wrote:
> > >
> > > [ sorry for late reply, just back from vacation. ]

> > > Looks like most (all?) callers already exclude PTE-mapped THP already one
> > > way or another.
> >
> > I can see e.g. do_move_page_to_node_array not doing a similar thing. It
> > isolates and then migrates potentially a tail page.
>
> No, it doesn't. follow_page(FOLL_SPLIT) would split THP pages.

Ahh, I thought it would split the pmd but this path splits the page
directly.

> > I haven't looked closer whether there is other hand break on the way
> > though. The point I was trying to make is that this is really _subtle_.
> > We are changing something else than we operate later on.
> >
> > > Probably, VM_BUG_ON_PAGE(PageTail(page), page) in isolate_lru_page() would
> > > be appropriate.

> > > I don't think this is right way to go. What we put on LRU is compound
> > > page, not 4k subpages. PageLRU() should return true if the compound page
> > > is on LRU regardless if you ask for head or tail page.
> >
> > Hmm, but then we should operate on the head page because that is what
> > PageLRU operated on, no?
>
> head page is what linked into LRU, but not nessesary the way we obtain the
> page to check. If we check PageLRU(pte_page(*pte)) it should produce the
> right result.

I am not following you here. Any pfn walk could get to a tail page and
if we happen to do e.g. isolate_lru_page we have to remember that we
should always treat compound page differently. This is subtle. Anyway I
am far from understading other parts of the refcount rework so I will
spend time studying the code as soon as the time permits. In the
meantime I agree that VM_BUG_ON_PAGE(PageTail(page), page) would be
useful to catch all the fallouts.
--
Michal Hocko
SUSE Labs