Re: Ques: [kernel/time/*] Is there any disadvantage in using sleep_range for more than 20ms delay ?

From: Aniroop Mathur
Date: Mon Dec 21 2015 - 12:23:04 EST

On Tue, Dec 15, 2015 at 1:23 AM, Thomas Gleixner <tglx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Dec 2015, Aniroop Mathur wrote:
>> >
>> > Yes, if lots of other processes compete for the CPU.
>>
>> You mean to say "yes" for process competing for changing state
>> from "waiting" to "ready" or "ready" to "running" ?
>
> There is no state ready. We change from [un]interruptible to running,
> but that's just the wakeup by the timer callback. When the task gets
> on the CPU is a different question.
>
>> Regarding above, could you please help to confirm below things?
>> 1. Using msleep(40) with HZ=1000 (1ms), process can still be in
>> "waiting" state and will not move to "ready" state even after 42,45 or 50 ms.
>> Right ?
>
> kernel/time/timer.c:apply_slack()
>
>> 2. Using usleep_range(40000, 41000), it is guaranteed that process will
>> change its state from waiting to ready state before or at 41 ms.
>> Right ?
>
> 1) It is supposed to be woken up by the timer in that range, but there
> is no guarantee. Depends also on your kernel configuration and
> hardware capabilities.
>
> 2) The state changes from [un]interruptible to running. And again
> that does not tell you when it gets on the CPU.
>
>> Regarding usleep_range disadvatage:
>> 1. Usleep_range has a disadvantage that it does not allow the system to
>> do optimal timer batching for power savings. Except that, Is there any
>> other disadvantage?
>
> Higher CPU usage.

Really appreciate your input, Mr. Thomas.
Suddenly today, I thought again and realised than Less Power Saving and
High CPU Usage are disadvantages of usleep_range as a whole and not only
when used for delays more than 20ms.
I hope my understanding is right.
If yes, Could you please help to confirm my above understanding ?
and let me know if there is any disadvantage "specifically for large delays" ?

Thanks again for your support on this.

Regards,
Aniroop Mathur