Re: Running arm:versatile_defconfig with qemu in linux-next

From: Guenter Roeck
Date: Thu Dec 24 2015 - 10:33:53 EST

Hi Arnd,

On 12/24/2015 01:58 AM, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
On Thursday 24 December 2015, Guenter Roeck wrote:
Hi all,

various versatile and realview configurations fail to run for me with
qemu (2.5) in linux-next. Some of those are qemu configurations
I collected from various sources, so I guess I am on my own there.
However, the following standard configurations no longer work.

arm:versatileab:versatile_defconfig
arm:versatilepb:versatile_defconfig
Just to be sure to rule out the obvious: are you using the dtb files from
the kernel, or do you have your own?
I don't use any dtb files for the failing configurations. That wasn't
needed (and didn't work when I first set up my test system).

I can no longer get realview-eb-mpcore and realview-eb to work either,
but, again, that is with a qemu specific configuration.
These are still based on board files, right? Do the normal defconfigs
work?
I'll try to find working "normal" defconfigs. When I set up my test
system, I could not get any to work for realview-eb with qemu.

I tried to bisect, but there have been too many related changes in the code
for it to succeed; some of the bisect attempts don't even compile, others fail
due to different problems. Is it known if versatile_defconfig in linux-next runs
on a real system ? If so, any idea what it might take to get it to work again
with qemu ?
Please start with the next/multiplatform branch in arm-soc, which has the
conversion to devicetree. Let's first see if that works by itself. I would
hope that all commits on that branch build, but something may have gone wrong.
Maybe I'll just need to start using devicetree files. I'll try that.

Thanks,
Guenter