Re: [Question about DMA] Consistent memory?

From: James Bottomley
Date: Sat Jan 02 2016 - 15:11:11 EST

On Sat, 2016-01-02 at 19:35 +0100, Mike Looijmans wrote:
> On 2-1-2016 11:39, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
> > On Thu, Dec 31, 2015 at 04:50:54PM +0900, Masahiro Yamada wrote:
> > > Hi.
> > >
> > > I am new to the Linux DMA APIs.
> > >
> > > First, I started by reading Documentation/DMA-API.txt,
> > > but I am confused with the term "consistent memory".
> >
> > Just read "coherent memory" instead - the documentation confusingly
> > uses
> > the two terms to refer to the same thing. I think there was a
> > patch a
> > while back to replace "consistent" with "coherent" in this
> > document,
> > though I'm not sure what happened to it.
>
> I wrote that patch. I never got any comments on it, so either I
> didn't
> post it to the right people, or no one really cares:
> http://www.kernelhub.org/?msg=747166&p=2
>
> I still think that if the kernel methods all have "coherent" in their
> name, we should use the word "coherent" in the documentation as well,
> and not confuse people even further. So I'd happily repost that
> patch.

They don't: the PCI API still uses consistent:

asm-generic/pci-dma-compat.h:pci_alloc_consistent(struct pci_dev *hwdev, size_t size,
asm-generic/pci-dma-compat.h:pci_zalloc_consistent(struct pci_dev *hwdev, size_t size,
asm-generic/pci-dma-compat.h:pci_free_consistent(struct pci_dev *hwdev, size_t size,
asm-generic/pci-dma-compat.h:static inline int pci_set_consistent_dma_mask(struct pci_dev *dev, u64 mask)
linux/pci.h:/* kmem_cache style wrapper around pci_alloc_consistent() */
linux/pci.h:static inline int pci_set_consistent_dma_mask(struct pci_dev *dev, u64 mask)

These are named based on the PCI specification.

James