Re: [V9fs-developer] Hang triggered by udev coldplug, looks like a race

From: Peter Zijlstra
Date: Mon Jan 04 2016 - 10:59:33 EST

On Tue, Dec 29, 2015 at 10:43:26PM -0800, Andy Lutomirski wrote:

> Hi scheduler people:
>
> This is relatively easy for me to reproduce. Any hints for debugging
> it? Could we really have a bug in which processes that are
> schedulable as a result of mutex unlock aren't always reliably
> scheduled?

I would expect that to cause wide-spread fail, then again, virt is known
to tickle timing issues that are improbable on actual hardware so
anything is possible.

Does it reproduce with DEBUG_MUTEXES set? (I'm not seeing a .config
here).

If its really easy you could start by tracing events/sched/sched_switch
events/sched/sched_wakeup, those would be the actual scheduling events.

Without DEBUG_MUTEXES there's the MUTEX_SPIN_ON_OWNER code that could
still confuse things, but that's mutex internal and not scheduler
related.

If it ends up being the SPIN_ON_OWNER bits we'll have to cook up some
extra debug patches.