Re: Including Raspberry Pi -next trees in linux-next

From: Stephen Warren
Date: Tue Jan 05 2016 - 15:22:23 EST

On 01/05/2016 01:06 PM, Eric Anholt wrote:
Stephen Rothwell <sfr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Hi Eric,

On Sat, 26 Dec 2015 13:15:50 -0800 Eric Anholt <eric@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I'll be sending pull-requests to Florian soon, but I would like to get
my trees included in linux-next to get increased testing coverage of
them against everything else going on for 4.5. I'm expecting to produce
trees under these branch names for the forseeable future.

Repo: https://github.com/anholt/linux.git

branches:
drm-vc4-next
bcm2835-dt-next
bcm2835-soc-next
bcm2835-drivers-next
bcm2385-defconfig-next
(bcm2835-maintainers-next is a placeholder since we have nothing for it
this round)

Typically maintainers merge everything together into a single "for-next" to maintain a reasonable set of branches. I guess it doesn't affect me so my opinion isn't too relevant though:-)

I have added the first 5 from today. Can you tell me which trees they
will be merged via so I can position them in my list correctly,
please?

drm-vc4-next goes through airlied's drm-next. bcm2835-* are intended to
go through Florian's stblinux tree, though things didn't go that way
this time because I'm still figuring out timelines.

Looking through Next/Trees, it looks like stblinux isn't in the list.
That seems like something that would be useful, given that Florian's
been successfully sending pull requests to arm-soc for at least a couple
of releases. (<1445718981-13552-1-git-send-email-f.fainelli@xxxxxxxxx>,
for example). His branches appear to be defconfig/next,
devicetree/next, maintainers/next, and soc/next, all on
https://github.com/Broadcom/stblinux.git.

Also, I was wondering how they relate to the bcm2835 tree I currently
have (git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/rpi/linux-rpi.git
for-next) currently maintained by Stephen Warren (cc'd).

Stephen and Lee have limited time to work on 2835 as it's only been a
free-time project for them afaict. I offered to help on the merging
process, since it's job related. I don't have kernel.org access any
more I think, and it turns out github process is familiar to 2835's
potential contributors, so it's working out quite well to host the
branches there. They're still chiming in with acks and feedback when
time permits, though.

It'd be quite easy to get you access to the existing kernel.org bcm2835 tree though; just get an account there and the admins can add you to the ACL.