Re: [RFC] spi: dw: support setting tmode dynamically

From: Khoa Dang Pham
Date: Wed Jan 06 2016 - 02:36:18 EST

Hi Jisheng,

For me, I use the "EEPROM Read" mode as well, but I am not sure if any
other solution. We may need some feedbacks from other experienced
developers.
Could you please provide your solution? Any suggestion would be appreciated.
Regards,
Khoa Pham

On Wed, Jan 6, 2016 at 2:22 PM, Jisheng Zhang <jszhang@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Dear Khoa,
>
> On Wed, 6 Jan 2016 14:04:30 +0700 Khoa Dang Pham wrote:
>
>> Hi Jisheng,
>>
>> On Wed, Jan 6, 2016 at 1:23 PM, Jisheng Zhang wrote:
>> > Dear Khoa, Mark,

>> > I tried the following combinations:
>> >
>> > 1. "Transmit only" to send opcode and address, "Receive only" to read the
>> > response
>> >
>> > 2. "Transmit and Receive" to send opcode and address, "Receive only" to read
>> > the response
>> >
>> > 3. "Transmit and Receive" to send opcode and address, "Transmit and Receive"
>> > to read the response
>> >
>> > 4. "Transmit and Receive" only to send opcode and address
>> >
>> > None of the above succeed. I only succeed when using
>> >
>> > 5. EEPROM Read to send opcode, address. I can get the correct NOR flash
>> > content from the response.
>> >

>> I met the same issue before. The issue might be caused by the CS
>> signal is toggled
>> when we changed the transfer modes during opcode transmission and data
>> receiption.
>>
>> According to the document I referred before:
>> "The slave select line is held high when the DW_apb_ssi is idle or
>> disabled."
>>
>> In your first 4 options, you need to disable this controller to write
>> to the CTRLR0 register
>> in order to switch the transfer modes. The CS line changes from low
>> level (active) to high
>> level (inactive) during the configuration. The NOR flash sees this CS
>> toggle as a reset and
>> stops outputting requested data.
>
> Thanks for the information. This could explain what I saw. So how to
> patch the spi-dw driver to support reading from NOR flash? Except
> configure the tmode dynamically, is there any other solution?
>
> Thanks very much for your input,
> Jisheng
>

>> Regards,
>> Khoa Pham
>>
>> > Thanks,
>> > Jisheng

for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and contains information that
is confidential and proprietary to Applied Micro Circuits Corporation or
its subsidiaries. It is to be used solely for the purpose of furthering the
parties' business relationship. All unauthorized review, use, disclosure or
message.