Re: x86/microcode update on systems without INITRD

From: Borislav Petkov
Date: Fri Jan 08 2016 - 06:36:53 EST

On Fri, Jan 08, 2016 at 11:18:51AM +0000, MÃns RullgÃrd wrote:
> Neither "depends on" nor "select" makes sense to me here. The driver
> apparently works without it,

The driver works without it if you build your microcode into the kernel.

There are use cases where building microcode into the kernel is *not* a
viable option so we have to support both builtin microcode and microcode
from the initrd.

> and simply having BLK_DEV_INITRD enabled doesn't prevent improper
> (according to some people) use of the driver. If updating microcode
> is inherently unsafe when a real disk is mounted, the driver ought
> to detect this and refuse the operation (possibly with an override
> option).

Huh, what?

-ENOPARSE.

--
Regards/Gruss,
Boris.

SUSE Linux GmbH, GF: Felix ImendÃrffer, Jane Smithard, Graham Norton, HRB 21284 (AG NÃrnberg)