Re: x86/microcode update on systems without INITRD

From: Borislav Petkov
Date: Fri Jan 08 2016 - 07:27:31 EST

On Fri, Jan 08, 2016 at 01:16:01PM +0100, Markus Trippelsdorf wrote:
> But you take the choice away from people like me, who don't need initrd
> at all. BLK_DEV_INITRD is a superfluous dependency in this case, because
> microcode update works perfectly well without it.

Damn, you have a valid point too. I need to think about it...

... well, the only thing I can think of right now is to remove the
dependency on BLK_DEV_INITRD completely - I believe this is what you
proposed initially Markus - and add a BIG FAT SUGGESTION to Kconfig
saying that people should strive for enabling early microcode loading if
possible.

This is the only way I see we can handle "make oldconfig" without
BLK_DEV_INITRD and microcode built-in into the kernel cases relatively
fair.

Hmmm.

Or I could hack "oldconfig" to issue that warning... Lemme think about
it and see how much Michal would scream at me for it. :-)

--
Regards/Gruss,
Boris.

SUSE Linux GmbH, GF: Felix ImendÃrffer, Jane Smithard, Graham Norton, HRB 21284 (AG NÃrnberg)